Sunday, December 21, 2008

A genius in making


Sometimes you anoint greatness on someone too easily; I would take that luxury today. I would only say that I am not doing it easily but rather wisely. Watching South Africa chase the second-highest score in fourth-innings of a Test Match ever was exhilaration in itself. But my joy was amplified, watching some real talent on show.

While De Villiers was brilliant in his batting, aping his dynamic fielding in the match, JP Duminy was the stand-out performer for me. He has been long heralded as the next big thing from South Africa, and when given a chance today, replacing the injured Ashwell Prince, he did show his mettle. I had seen him bat in a few one-dayers. He had looked a decent player, but now he looks a complete one. I presage that he will become an all-time great ( SA ) batsman. This is too much to say, as the word genius gets bandied around every now and then on every Tom, Dick and Harry. But there were a few shots zooming out of his willow, which reminded me of Brian Lara’s. His perfect defense, calculated aggression and biggest of all, mental fortitude were on full exhibit today. He may not overhaul Kallis, but at least can trump Smith, Gibbs and other distinguished South African batsmen.

I remember Harsha Bhogle often saying that when he had watched Mahela Jayawardena score a century at Adelaide against England in a one-dayer in 1999, he had earmarked him as the candidate to join the Lara-Sachin bandwagon. Mahela has certainly lived something up to it, especially in the last few years, but he hasn’t reached that bar. Right now, Ponting has transcended that, and Pietersen and Sehwag look all set to reach that, or may be set a different standard altogether, a something new to be emulated in future. I don’t know how Duminy will move from here, but if he keeps performing like this, he can surely meet the destiny promulgated by me. I hope I don’t have to eat my words ten years later. But for now, he is on.

No comments: